Hill 108 is in fact the name given to the locality of Berry-au-Bac in September 1914, a military term meaning the strategic side of this front line, an ideal observatory for the forces involved.
This place is inseparable from the terrible mine war that took place during the conflict, consisting in digging galleries under the enemy lines in order to make them explode. The event took place on June 23, 1915, when 5 tons of explosives were placed in depth and caused the explosion of this mound, replaced by a funnel of 40 meters in diameter…
A little-known place that has fallen into oblivion, it has recently been the object of a new light initiated by a team of Franco-German researchers.
Please note that this site is only accessible by following the guided tours of the Caverne du Dragon, which organizes periodic tours throughout the year (information at www.chemindesdames.fr)