Porte de Soissons

Back to the list
porte soissons
La Porte de Soissons de Laon
© Vincent Colin

The massive Porte de Soissons is located in the southwest of the medieval city and was built at the beginning of the 13th century when the fortifications were resumed. Formerly named Soibert or Porte Saint-Martin, its rear part (demolished in 1895) offers a cross-sectional view of this type of defensive system: a vaulted room on the first floor, giving access to the harrow and the machicolation.
Not to be missed, this strange leaning tower nearby, called Dame Eve perhaps in homage to this person who had participated financially in the repair of the ramparts.

  • Animals accepted
  • The 3 remaining fortified doors can all be accessed on foot, and are located on the south side of Laon’s ramparts.


Rue Pierre Curie, 02000 LAON

Revenir en haut de page
This site is registered on wpml.org as a development site.